Welcome to another Wildcard Wednesday and our first That’s Entertainment holiday giveaway! I’ve acquired some unique and valuable prizes, and I thought a contest would be a fun way to share my love, show some seasonal goodwill, and (hopefully) get some traffic! Although this is definitely geared towards fans of Sitcom Tuesday, I encourage participation from anyone and everyone, as I know I have some musical theatre and/or Pre-Code rarities that will make dandy prizes. But let’s get down to business. I have chosen 50 of my favorite sitcom episodes from 1970-1980. Every single installment has been featured here on this site in either a Sitcom Tuesday or Wildcard Wednesday post. Your job is to guess as many of them as you can. Here are the “official rules” . . .
- Leave all of your guesses in the comments section of this post. The contest begins NOW and closes at 8:00 PM EST on Tuesday, December 29th. The results, along with my official selections, will be posted in that week’s Wildcard entry.
- You do not have to submit all 50 of your guesses at once. But because the selections are broken down by season, I ask that you guess a season at a time. (Ex: There are four episodes chosen from 1971-72. Choose four offerings and guess them all at once. You can do a separate comment for each season, but not each episode.)
- Each correct answer is worth two points. The person with the highest number of points wins. I will score each individual submission, but will not mark which guesses are correct. I will keep your total score public and visible in the comments.
- Should someone guess an entire season correctly, I will remove that season from play, and any guesses thereafter for that year will not be considered (although prior guesses will still be counted).
- Once a winner is announced, I will privately discuss the means of distributing a prize. There will likely be one winner, but it’s possible that I may award runner up(s) as well.
- You do not have to be a subscriber to play, but I really hope that you are!
- I will answer any question you have about the rules, but no specifics about the episodes.
- The shows in contention are:
Here’s Lucy (Seasons 3+)
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Odd Couple
All In The Family
The New Dick Van Dyke Show
Sanford And Son
The Bob Newhart Show
Three’s Company (Seasons 1-4)
Soap (Seasons 1-3)
Taxi (Seasons 1-2)
WKRP IN Cincinnati (Seasons 1-2)
The Jeffersons (Seasons 1-6)
Bridget Loves Bernie
The Paul Lynde Show
The Tony Randall Show
The Betty White Show
Archie Bunker’s Place (Season 1)
Here are some hints about how to guess:
- Don’t guess anything from a show that isn’t mentioned above.
- Every one of these episodes has been highlighted on this blog (with a paragraph). No honorable mentions included.
- MVEs are a great place to start. But as discussed last week, criteria for choosing MVEs has varied with each entry. For instance, I may have chosen an episode because I found it to be the best written, or the best representation of the season, or simply the funniest. I have not set out to deliberately surprise, but the selections I have made here are meant to be my personal favorites, so not only will some MVEs not be included, but there are also a handful times when I have chosen another offering over an MVE. (Please keep this in mind!)
- Keep the “Regrets” post from last week, particularly the revised MVE selections, in mind, as AT LEAST two of the updated selections have made my list.
- Notice that although Bewitched, Green Acres, and That Girl all had at least one season in the era that this contest covers, I have removed them from consideration due to both aesthetics and comedic sensibilities. Ditto for Britcoms.
- ALL 15 of the Sitcom Tuesday shows are represented in some capacity. AT LEAST three of the Wildcard Wednesday shows feature an episode that made the cut.
- All In The Family and The Mary Tyler Moore Show have the most representation.
- A series can have multiple offerings listed per season. (Ex: More than one All In The Family is chosen for ’72-’73.)
- Here’s a handy chart I made to assist with the season-by-season breakdown. This will make guessing easier.
This is the official guide to use for your guessing:
Come back next Wednesday for another Wildcard post and in two weeks for the answers to the contest, along with an announcement of the winner(s) and the prize! Also, tune in tomorrow for more Xena!